How to spend the least amount of money on this daytrip from Florence:
1. Find out these two train schedules:
EDIT 6/12/2013 - The validity of regional trains have changed to 4 hours - when I did this trip, my ticket was valid for 6 hours - and it was enough time to tour Pisa from Florence and go back on a one-way ticket. Now, you should buy a round trip ticket. Read more about Trenitalia here.
|Trenitalia Ticket to Pisa S Rossore|
2. BUY A TICKET THAT IS GOING TO PISA S. ROSSOREbecause this is a station that is farther than Pisa Centrale coming from Florence, but take whatever train that goes to Pisa Centrale on your way to Pisa.
3. Validate your ticket at the last possible moment.2 minutes before the train leaves is just about right BUT NEVER GET ON THE TRAIN WITHOUT VALIDATION.
|Train ticket validating machine.|
4. Get off Pisa Centrale.Click here for walking directions. It takes about 30-45mins walking at a leisurely pace. These are some of the things you will see on the way to the Piazza Dei Miracoli:
|Vittorio Emanuele II Statue|
|That is NOT Ross Dress for Less.|
|The sad truth is, you pay a "cover charge" to sit in a lot of places.|
5. You need tickets to get inside the buildings.I only bought the 2-attraction ticket and just spent time taking pics.
6. Walk to Pisa S. Rossore Station.Google maps can’t point the exact way, but here’s anapproximation of how I got there. When you get to Via Andrea Pisano, ask for directions on how to get to the stazioni, just to make sure.
Of course "not eating lunch there" does not mean that I can't stop for dessert! (uhm, snacks?)
|Pastries from Salza, the oldest patisserie in Pisa|
|La Borsa Gelato (I eat gelato every chance I get.)|
|I didn't eat lunch there, BUT I SNACKED!!!!|
I ate my breakfast in Firenze with the intention of having lunch in Firenze AFTER my visit to Pisa to avoid paying for my return ticket. However, there was a fire on the train tracks on my way back and we got stranded at a random stop. Along with the other passengers, we waited for a bus to take us to a different station and caught the train there to get back to Florence.
|That's my mom in her hat, keeping her cool and trying to be not|
annoyed at me while I grabbed lunch.
|Doner Kebab! Yes. I was eating this shawarma-ish snack and I tell you,|
it was pretty good!
|Other passengers scrambling to get into the bus to get to a different|
|It is smaller than you think it is. See the scale?|
|The Baptistery is the building with the red brick roof,|
Duomo in the middle and the Campanile (Leaning Tower) in the back.
|Inside the Baptistery (that's how Wiki spells it.)|
|Camposanto Monumentale from the Baptistery|
|View of the Duomo from the Baptistery|
|Leading to the main altar of the Duomo|
|Yes, that's the magnificent ceiling.|