20 February 2011

The Flushing Mall Grazing Experience

My friend, Jeff Orlick, of the blog Jeffrey Tastes, organized The Flushing Mall Grazing Experience which happened last February 19, 2011.

For 10 bucks and a couple of the friends you never met yet, all of you will contribute to the great tasting buffet that was this event.

The Grazing Process:
1.       Buy $10 worth of food at the food stands. ANY STAND, ANY DISH.
2.       Take your food to be labeled and photographed at the photo stations.
3.       Bring your “contribution” to the empty buffet table and GRAZE at whatever is on hand.

On the over all, I had photographed OVER 40 dishes. I don’t know how much Ravi Jolly, the other food photographer had taken. Considering doubles, I estimate that we came across about 70 dishes.

ALL OF THEM HAD ME AT HELLO.

Get the flash player here: http://www.adobe.com/flashplayer


I am certain there are other things on the menu that wasn’t ordered. Everything I put in my mouth was good. Seriously! The bravest thing ordered (imho) was the pork intestine dish.  Yes, I love innards!

As each tray or plate of food came, Ravi and I photographed them. We had set it up so all we did was press the shutter. Since I was moving from the back to the side of the camera, I had been skewing my framing. For my portion of the photographs, I had done very minimal post processing. I just cropped and tweaked the colors a little bit. You can tell from all the disposable dinnerware, none of them were food styled.

To the side of the “buffet table” was a Chili Tasting Event – for 5 dollars, you get to sample a bazillion chili sauces commonly found at Asian Supermarkets. I would have done it if I wasn’t doing photo duty.

There were also some prizes given away. While we were taking photos, Joe DiStefano of the World’s Fare Blog in Edible Queens was guessing the names of the dishes before we photographed them. The ones that stumped him got a free ride on his Flushing Food Tour.

The event went well in a very delicious and orderly manner. Thanks, Jeff!

No comments:

Post a Comment