28 May 2011

Nom Wah Tea Parlor: Dimsum All Day, Everyday!

Doyers Street, Chinatown, NY. When I first saw this street, I fell in love because I felt like I was in some back alley in Hong Kong. My interest got further piqued after I saw the Nom Wah Tea Parlor Storefront.


I have been walking past Nom Wah for years but I was always afraid to go in. Back then, it was very dimly lit and it really gave me the impression that there was a dimsum nazi inside. It also felt like it had one of those secret menus that you can’t read and you just must know what to order all the time.

They did a few tweaks and made it brighter. I think (even if i never went in before), they stayed true to what they used to look like. Nom Wah now looks like this.

Nom Wah Interiors (view as soon as you get in)

Call it pure luck – the place I wanted to take my husband to was closed that day. A couple of doors down and I noticed that Nom Wah looked welcoming and pleasant inside. My husband was apprehensive, I was extremely excited.


Upon seating, we were greeted with a nice table setting. Ordering was a real joy. Not only do they have a cool photo menu - but the waitstaff will hand you another piece of paper and a pen where you tick off the dishes you want. The design is seamless and very organized so you know that #35 on the menu will be #35 on that piece of paper.


This order sheet reminds me of the piece of paper 
that gets stamped by the dimsum cart lady as 
she writes everything you got off her cart
in Chinese characters.

As this is a Tea Parlor, their tea menu is quite extensive. I highly commend that each tea has a good description. This was definitely my I learn something new everyday moment.



I was truly excited with all of my dishes to come. One by one, they did.

Jasmine Tea

Steamed Pork Bun

Roast Pork Filling of the Steamed Pork Bun

Pan Fried Dumplings

Shanghainese Soup Dumplings

Shrimp and Snow Pea Leaf Dumplings

Shrimp and Chive Dumplings

Shrimp Dumplings (Har Gow)

And one by one, they did not fail to amaze me. Everything I had was good!

I have more reasons to love them! They are open everyday, and they serve dimsum all day! Mr. Wilson Tang, Thank You for allowing me to enjoy great dimsum without waking up early on a weekend and craning my neck for the Har Gow Lady as I eat the other dimsum that come in first. I will surely be back!

Nom Wah Tea Parlor
13 Doyers Street
New York, NY
212-962-6047

1 comment:

  1. I just recommended this place to my friends based on your post! This place actually looks inviting. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete